Columbia Hospital For Women
One of the oldest hospitals in Washington, D.C., Columbia Hospital for Women has been at its current site since 1870. Shortly after the Civil War, the Secretary of War E. N. Stanton authorized funds to establish a 50-bed hospital, stipulating that 20 of these beds be reserved for the wives and widows of U.S. soldiers. This was in response to a desperate need for a health-care facility for women who were arriving in the city in search of missing relatives.
The Columbia became a private, non-profit hospital when President Eisenhower signed legislation transferring it to its board of directors in 1953. Columbia Hospital has pioneered in the implementation of a number of innovative techniques in obstetrics and gynecology, and since its founding in 1866; more than 250,000 babies have been delivered at Columbia.
EDG2 provided engineering/architecture and construction administration services for the complete renovation of the project through five phases of design and added a new 150,000 sf medical office building.
Our work also included improvements to the in-vitro laboratories. The laboratories achieved a 1,000 clean room rating with their own temperature control.
Malcolm Grow Medical Center
The Malcolm Grow Medical Center at Andrews Air Force Base is home to the 89th Medical Group supporting the 89th Airlift Wing, the National Capital Area and their global military communities through excellence in comprehensive health services emphasizing prevention, readiness, education and training, personal growth and teamwork. This is the largest Air Force hospital in the US.
EDG2 was the prime A/E firm for this major renovation project.
This project included the renovation of approximately 200,000 sf of patient care areas and total replacement of the building infrastructure systems. Additionally as a part of this project, EDG2 designed a complete steam system replacement of the 1.5 million sf operating hospital campus.
Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center and Hospital
Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center and Hospital, a constituent agency of THE ASSOCIATED: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore had its beginnings in the 1890s as The Hebrew Friendly Inn.
Today, Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center and Hospital is a 292-licensed bed facility, which includes 192 comprehensive care (nursing home) beds, 20 subacute beds and a 26-bed dementia care unit. Levindale's 120-bed specialty hospital consists of 20 geropsychiatric beds, 80 complex medical beds, some with ventilator capacity and 20 acute rehabilitation beds. In addition, Levindale operates 590 housing units, a 36-bed assisted living facility and two adult day care centers. Levindale also oversees Jewish Convalescent & Nursing Home, a 151-bed nonprofit skilled kosher health care facility located in Baltimore County.
EDG2 designed the infrastructure for this facility that was listed as number four on The Center for Innovation in Health Facilities “Top Ten List of Most Innovative Facilities.” EDG2 provided mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, and construction administration for the complete renovation of the existing hospital, addition of a new hospital building and a new campus-wide central utility plant and distribution system